Saturday, May 8, 2010

Wednesday's Appointment

Well, we had our first OB appointment on Wednesday afternoon!  We were both pretty nervous, but everyone made us feel right at ease.  After taking my BP, peeing in a cup, and having an initial consult with the Nurse Practitioner (I think that's who it was-she asked all the family history stuff) we met with Dr. Slocumb.  It was a generally awkward experience, but I guess that's what's to be expected from an...internal...ultrasound!  We got to see the little alien and even got a picture!!! It's too soon to hear the heartbeat, but we could see it fluttering.  What an amazing moment that was.  It was almost unreal.  Based on Baby Alien's size, Dr. Slocumb thinks I was 5 weeks 5 days, but did say that BA was moving around (who knew they can do that this early?!) so he wasn't 100% sure.  We go back on the 20th for another look.


During the initial consult, they asked all those questions about family medical stuff, heart problems, etc.  I hope I know enough about my family history to have answered them correctly (seeing as how I couldn't just call Mama and ask!).  They did determine that I have a negative RH factor, and Kirk has a positive RH factor, and will have to monitor this closely for a while.  What this means is my blood type is O- and his is B+...if the baby's blood type is anything +, my body could react against Baby and attack Baby as a foreign body, almost as if I was allergic to my own baby!!  NOT IDEAL! Once they determine the baby's blood type, they decide if I have to get a shot of RHIg, which prevents my body from sensitizing to the baby.  Kirk & I are hoping things will be OK, but I will have a blood test at my next visit to determine for sure. 


I also got a 'goodie bag' from the Dr.'s office with all sorts of swag and information in it! They also offered to give me the "What to Expect" book, but I told them I had found a $1 deal the other day, and said to keep it & save them the money as well. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Barefoot Mama | Creative Commons Attribution- Noncommercial License | Dandy Dandilion Designed by Simply Fabulous Blogger Templates