I just realized that I haven't explained her name. I don't feel obligated to share the meaning, but instead feel proud and excited about how we chose Amelia Jane.
Amelia is my middle name, my grandmother's name, and has been in the family for a long time (unfortunatly I don't know exactly how long-need to check on that). My Grammy is one of the most important people in my life and I have always been so proud to share her name. There is a special bond between her and I that I could not even begin to explain if I wanted to. There was no doubt in my mind that the name Amelia would be used in our daughter's name.
Deciding on the middle name took a little more time, but had been one we batted around with from the very beginning. Kirk's grandmother's name is Frankie Jane. Grannie took care of Kirk and his brother while his mom was working when they were little. He spent a great deal of time at his Grannie's house and shares a special connection with her. When we put the two names together, we knew that was our daughter's name.
The names our children would call their grandparents also have significant meaning. Kirk's parents go by Mema and Papa. Mema was Kirk's great grandmother and the lady who kept the extended families together. Mrs. Tanner fills those shoes quite well, and chose to carry on the name when her first grandchild, Savannah, was born 3 years ago. Papa is a family chosen name, as Kirk called both of his grandfathers by it. It was only natural for Mr. Tanner to carry on that name.
My mother chose the name Mimi. It goes along with our daughter's name too. My Grammy's nickname has always been Mimi (shortened Amelia). When my mama started thinking about names, Mimi jumped out. It carries the bond between her mother and herself. My dad took a little longer to decide on his name. For a long time, he joked around with the name Hoot. It wasn't until the day Amelia was born (or the day after, not for sure which) that he settled on the name Grandy. From what I have been told, the GA Tech swim team helped him decide! :-) He has been called Randy Rand by a good deal of my brother's swimming friends through the years, and Grandy just seemed to fit!
As you can tell, there is a lot of meaning to the names in Amelia's life. Kirk & I are so lucky to have all these people and our entire families in our life to help us raise this little girl! :-)
England Lovelies – May 2027 (Trip 2)
1 month ago







0 comments:
Post a Comment